Abakaliki – The Correspondents’ Chapel of the Nigeria Union of Journalists, NUJ, Ebonyi State chapter, has condemned the alleged attack on the state NUJ Chairman, Comrade Samson Nwafor, and other journalists during the Ebonyi Central senatorial primary in Onueke, Ezza South Local Government Area on Monday, May 18, 2026.
In a statement signed by Chapel Chairman Comrade Uchenna Inya, the group said the incident occurred at the hands of Senator Kenneth Eze, Chairman of the Senate Committee on Information and National Orientation, his aides, and political thugs. The chapel described the attack as an assault on the entire journalism community in the state.
“The chapel views this attack as an attack on the entire journalists in the state,” the statement read.
The journalists outlined four demands in response. They called on Senator Eze to uphold his role as head of the Senate Committee on Information by refraining from intimidating and harassing journalists carrying out their duties as the fourth estate of the realm.
The chapel also demanded a public apology from the senator within 24 hours, warning that failure to comply would result in a media blacklist. It further stated that Senator Eze, his aides, and one Kizito Nwankwo—who allegedly threatened to “deal with” any journalist who published details of the incident—should be held responsible if any journalist in the state comes to harm.
In addition, the group urged Senate President Godswill Akpabio to remove Senator Eze from his position as Chairman of the Senate Committee on Information and National Orientation, citing his inability to control his temperament in public.
The chapel recalled that it had been less than a month since Senator Eze was involved in a heated exchange with senatorial aspirant Chief Christian Asaga Nwali at a burial ceremony in Amudo, Ezza South LGA. That incident, it said, embarrassed attendees and heightened political tensions in the area.
Post a Comment